Friday, February 14, 2014

Lessons from the Olympics

So, I love the Olympics. A lot. Since February 6, I have pretty much been watching them as much as possible. I think it is so much fun to see people who have worked so hard compete and share their talents with the world. (Kind of like why I like Summerfest in Logan too, but with a different art form in a way.) They give it their all. It is so neat to see athletes who are practically perfect, but it is equally neat to see people fall and get right back up and keep trying. Watching the Olympics this year has made me wonder what Colson is going to grow up and want to do. Is he going to want to be an athlete? Am I going to be a soccer mom, or will I spend a lot of time at the ball park? Will he like to swim like me or run like Ben? Whatever he decides he wants to do, I will support him. (Even if it is football...) But there are some things I have been thinking about during the Olympics that I want to teach him as he is growing up. I want Colson to learn that it is okay to take chances. To jump, to reach, to try. We are going to fall. It is inevitable. It's a part of life. But that's okay. It is better to fall and get back up then to not try anything and never live. I want Colson to reach for his dreams and to dream big. And I want him to know he can ask for help if he feels a little stuck on the ground and can't get up on his own. I also want Colson to know that not only is this a pattern for things in life, but it is a pattern for eternity as well. We are doing all we can on earth to do and be our best. But sometimes we will fall. We will make mistakes. It is inevitable. It's a part of life. Heavenly Father knew that would happen though. And He provided us with the help we would need. He sent His son, Jesus Christ, to be our Savior. He is there to help us get back up again so we can keep trying. So we can keep moving forward and ultimately reach our dreams. So as Colson grows and develops talents and abilities, I don't want him to be hindered by fear. I want him to go through all things in life knowing that he can get back up. He can keep going and reach all his goals and dreams. And if he learns that, I will be one happy mommy.

Some of Colson's goals include sitting and playing,

feeding himself,

learning to play with daddy,

and he's trying so hard to crawl that he is practicing in his sleep.

1 comment: