Sunday, July 24, 2011

Fourth of July Week

Okay so this post is better late than never I guess but Ben and I had a good Fourth of July week. Not just the one day, but the whole week was pretty busy. The bakery was closed for the holiday so neither of us had to go in and work that day. Fantastic! So what did we do instead? Well, we ran a 5k that morning with our stake, no big deal. I'm training for a triathlon that I will do at the end of September so we decided to prepare for this to help me get ready. So our morning started out with a race. Ben wanted to run at his own pace so I let him go ahead of me. I ran with a friend in our ward and her 5 year old daughter (who by the way, ran the WHOLE thing with us in 30 minutes! We were amazed!) Yeah a 30 minute 5k for someone like me who isn't that big on running... not bad in my book. I have to keep working though so I can do well in September. Ben ran the race in about 25 minutes which was pretty awesome too! After we had both finished we enjoyed a scout sponsored stake breakfast of pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, fruit, the basic breakfast works. It was a lot of fun and really good. We kind of relaxed for the rest of the day and that evening went out to Raquel and Todd's (my aunt and uncle) house for BBQ and fireworks. It was fun to be able to spend the evening with their family.
Ben playing with Todd, Caleb, and Jacob



The group of us watching fireworks.


 The next day wasn't a huge day except for the fact that I decided to finally chop off a lot of my hair. I had been debating about cutting it off and donating it and finally took the step and did it. So Ben and I went out to Tremonton for a second time in the week so Raquel's sister in law could cut my hair. She did a great job! I think after all was said and done I had about 11-12 inches cut off. Before we cut it, my hair was roughly 21 inches long... we measured. We haven't measured it since, but you need at least 10 inches to donate and then a few more to clean up the ends and style it. I really like the way it turned out. Now I have to debate whether or not to grow it out again! Oh the joys of being a girl... haha
My hair before...

My hair right after the donated part was cut off...

And the finished product! Yay!
The rest of the week was also pretty eventful. We went down to Riverton for the annual Figgins family get together where my whole dad's family gets together for a few days during the summer. This year was my dad's turn to plan and going camping was pretty hard to do this time so we decided to do a "Staycation." We got down there on Wednesday and had pizza, garlic bread, and salad for dinner and then watched a movie on a huge blow up screen/projector that our neighbors let us borrow. Thursday we went on this awesome hike and then got to hang out, catch up, and play as a family. We played some fun games and I re-discovered how competitive we can all be... whoops. Sorry Raquel who was trying to be our fair line judge. We made it quite difficult and she had to be rather patient with us. Friday we went up to Kennecott Copper Mine. My Grandpa Brent had worked there once so we went to see the mine and the visitor's center. I've been there once before but it was a while ago. It was really neat to see the mine. It is huge! And we had a lot of fun. That pretty much wrapped up the Staycation but we had a lot of fun with each other.
Here we start our hike.

It was really pretty up there. I took a lot of pictures but there isn't room for them all on here.



This was at the end. So pretty!

Ben and I actually went pretty close to the waterfall, this was after we came back up from it.

My cousin Madi sharing her talents with us as she sings a song she wrote about our family.
I am so blessed to have such a wonderful family and to have married into a wonderful family as well. We are looking forward to visiting Ben's family in Southern Utah in August. I am also blessed to have a wonderful husband and the gospel in my life. I look forward to all the many more memories Ben and I will create together with our family.

1 comment: